Dr. Shannon Nash
Director of Operations
Dr. Shannon Nash is the Director of Operations of the North American and Arctic Defence and Security Network (NAADSN). She provides essential support to the network, including project management, communications, and directing its day-to-day operations. She cultivates international relationships, collaborates and coordinates within and outside of the network, oversees event organization, manages the website, and contributes to long-term strategic outlooks.
With NAADSN, Dr. Nash recently completed a post-doctoral fellowship at Trent University studying past and present terrorist threats and attacks as well as Canadian, American, and international defence, security and counterterrorism policies. Dr. Nash received her Ph.D. in History from the University of Toronto with a focus on 20th Century American History, Terrorism, and International Relations. Her doctoral thesis looks at the reality of al Qaeda espionage methodology and how the idea of a sleeper agent was perceived and adapted to fit the terrorist threat posed by al Qaeda from the 1990s onwards. She is currently revising a manuscript focusing on the pre-9/11 period and missing the nature of the threat posed by al Qaeda.
Dr. Nash’s research has focused on ascendant fears of an enemy within after 9/11, the fluidity of the “terrorism” label, how the label is informed and applied to a violent attack in Canada, education and training in national security and counterterrorism in Canada, lasting traumatization of direct and indirect victims of terrorism, and ascendant fears of an enemy within after 9/11. She is leading a project funded by the Canadian Network for Research on Terrorism, Security and Society (TSAS) on Counterterrorism Resilience: Expert Roundtables on Canadian National Security and Countering Violent Extremism.
- Quick Impact: Sending a Message: Ideologically Motivated Violent Extremist Groups and Canadian Terrorist Entity Listings, by Shannon Nash, February 2021
- Policy Brief: Terrorism and the Terrorized: How the ‘Terrorism’ Label is Informed and Applied to a Violent Attack in Canada, by Shannon Nash, January 2021
- Quick Impact: The Trauma of Terrorism: Strengthening Preparedness and Resilience, by Shannon Nash, October 2020
- Policy Brief: The Pivot from Terrorism in an Era of Renewed Great Power Competition, by Shannon Nash, September 2020
- Quick Impact: Iran and the Sleeper Threat to North America, by Shannon Nash, January 2020
- Policy Brief: U.S. Arctic Messaging in an Era of Renewed Great Power Competition, by Shannon Nash, November 2019