NAADSN Monograph Series
This peer-reviewed series publishes original monographs and edited volumes on Arctic and North American defence and security themes in both English and French in open-access, e-book format.
- La Sécurité Arctique 2000-2010 : Une décennie turbulente? by Mathieu Landriault, Peterborough: North American and Arctic Defence and Security Network, June 2020.
- Canada and the Maritime Arctic: Boundaries, Shelves, and Waters, by P. Whitney Lackenbauer, Suzanne Lalonde, and Elizabeth Riddell-Dixon. xvii, 196 pp. Peterborough: North American and Arctic Defence and Security Network, March 2020.
- Custos Borealis: The Military in the Canadian North, by Ken Eyre, edited with an introduction and afterword by P. Whitney Lackenbauer, foreword by BGen Patrick Carpentier. xliii, 351 pp. Peterborough: North American and Arctic Defence and Security Network, January 2020.
NAADSN Engage Series
This peer-reviewed series publishes short monographs and edited volumes on timely topics related to North American and Arctic defence, security, and safety issues.
- Deterrence, Arms Control, and Cooperative Security: Selected Writings on Arctic Security, by Ernie Regehr, June 2020
- Возможно ли растопить ледяной занавес? Россия, Канада и вопросы безопасности в меняющейся Арктике, под редакцией П. Уитни Лакенбауэра и Сюзанн Лалонд, Перевод на русский язык под редакцией Андрея Тодорова (May 2020) [Russian translation of Breaking the Ice Curtain? Russia, Canada, and Arctic Security in a Changing Circumpolar World, edited by P. Whitney Lackenbauer and Suzanne Lalonde (Calgary: Canadian Global Affairs Institute, 2019).
- Measuring the Success of the Canadian Rangers, by P. Whitney Lackenbauer and Peter Kikkert, October 2020 [also available in high resolution (75MB) and low resolution (7.3MB) versions]
- Using Civil-Military Operations to “Expand and Deepen” Relationships with Northern Communities: Examples from Alaska and Australia, by Peter Kikkert and P. Whitney Lackenbauer, July 2020
These brief documents offer fresh perspectives on strategic issues related to North American defence, Arctic security, and implications of major power competition for Canada and its allies.
- Why Fear Russia in the Arctic? Contemplating Scenarios as an Exercise in Assumption-Testing and “Red Teaming”, by P. Whitney Lackenbauer, May 2020
- China’s Arctic Gambit? Contemplating Possible Strategies, by Ryan Dean and P. Whitney Lackenbauer, April 2020
Short briefings that provide information, succinct analysis, and policy suggestions on specific topics for policy-making and expert audiences.
- The Pivot from Terrorism in an Era of Renewed Great Power Competition, by Shannon Nash, September 2020
- Improving the Canadian Armed Forces’ Recruitment and Retention of Indigenous People: Best Practices from the New Zealand Defence Force, by Jayde Lavoie and Jill Barclay, September 2020
- A GBA+ Analysis of the Arctic and Northern Policy Framework – Safety, Security, and Defence Chapter, by Nathalie Poirier, August 2020
- Canada and Missile Defence: A New Strategic Context Requires Revisiting Participation, by Nancy Teeple, August 2020
- The Canadian Rangers and COVID-19, by P. Whitney Lackenbauer and Peter Kikkert, June 2020
- Questions soulevées par les impacts de la crise de la COVID-19 sur les Rangers et sur les communautés du Nunavik, by Magali Vullierme, June 2020
- Democracy, Donald Trump, and the Canada-US Security Environment, by Wilfrid Greaves, May 2020
- Literature Review on Russia’s Strategic Intentions Since 2015, by Andrew Chater, April 2020
- Engagement with Inuit People by the Canadian Military via social media, by Mathieu Landriault and Jean-François Savard, March 2020
- The Arctic Council: A Key Moment of Challenge, by Andrew Chater, February 2020
- Arctic Ironies: American Shaping of an Arctic Regime, by Ryan Dean, January 2020
- The Nuances of Geopolitics in the Arctic, by Andreas Østhagen, January 2020
- L’année arctique 2019, OPSA Revue annuelle, 2019
- U.S. Arctic Messaging in an Era of Renewed Great Power Competition, by Shannon Nash, November 2019
- Perspectives européennes sur la sécurité arctique – Une analyse des énoncés de politique arctique de l’Allemagne, la France et l’Écosse, by Mathieu Landriault, November 2019
- European perspectives on Arctic security: Analysis of the 2019 policy statements of Germany, France and Scotland, by Mathieu Landriault, October 2019
- The Case for a Reimagined NWS, by Andrea Charron, October 2019
NAADSN Policy Primers offer overviews on a specific topic to serve as foundations for further research and/or policy development.
- The Impacts of Climate Change on North American Defence and Security, by Jill Barclay, Jayde Lavoie, Carly MacArthur, and Maria Nallim, September 2020
- The NORAD Discussion on Twitter: analysis of themes, trends and social relationships, by Mathieu Landriault and Jean-François Savard, September 2020
- Opinions and framing of the North Warning System from the Canadian North, Gabrielle LaFortune and Mathieu Landriault, August 2020
- The Continental Defence Debate in the Canadian Public Sphere – Evidence from Traditional Media and Parliamentary Committees, by Mathieu Landriault, Paul Minard, and Praneel Gayan, August 2020
- Arctic Highways as Critical Infrastructure, by Christina Bouchard, August 2020
- Alternative Energy in the Canadian North, by Jackson Bellamy, August 2020
- What is Russia Doing in the Arctic? Documenting Russian Military Actions in the North between 2014 – 2020, by Danielle Cherpako, August 2020, Annex of the data set (Zoom to view)
- U.S. Arctic Policy: Threats, Actors, and Outcomes, by Nancy Teeple, April 2020
- Kitikmeot Roundtable on Search and Rescue – General Report and Findings. Report from a workshop hosted at the Canadian High Arctic Research Station (CHARS) in Cambridge Bay, Nunavut, 31 January – 1 February 2020.
- The Permanent Joint Board on Defence (PJBD): How Permanent and Joint? Celebrating 80 Years of Cooperation – Post Event Report, 25 February 2020
- Is it time for Canada to Revisit Missile Defence Participation?, a reflection on NAADSN Ideas Series with Dr. Nancy Teeple, Mr. Ernie Regehr, and Dr. James Fergusson by Alexander MacDonald
- NORAD Modernization Forum Second Report: Defeat Capabilities, CDA Institute, by Ryan Dean and Nancy Teeple, September 2020
- NORAD Modernization Forum First Report: Awareness and Sensors, CDA Institute, by Ryan Dean and Nancy Teeple, September 2020
- Enhanced Crime During COVID-19, Command, Control, and Interoperability Center for Advanced Data Analysis, August 2020
- Report on the North Star Event: The First US Air Force Arctic Strategy, by Nancy Teeple, July 2020
- The North American Arctic: Security Challenges and Opportunities, a reflection on NAADSN Ideas Series with Lindsay L. Rodman, Iris Ferguson, and Andrea Charron by Danielle Cherpako, June 2020
- MythBuster, a reflection on NAADSN Ideas Series with P. Whitney Lackenbauer by Ryan Dean, June 2020
- Democracy, Donald Trump, and the Future of the Canada-U.S. Security Community, a reflection on NAADSN Ideas Series with Wilfrid Greaves by Nancy Teeple, May 2020
- Stickhandling Through Roughing and Interference: How to Position Canada in the Great Power Plays, by Nancy Teeple, April 2020
- Sea-ice loss and the Arctic region, by Nathalie Poirier and Mathieu Landriault, January 2020
- Fieldnotes from Attending MASS: Report on the 2019 Maritime & Arctic Security & Safety Conference “People & Technology: Making the Connection”, by Ryan Dean, November 2019
- Zapad, Vostok, Tsentr: Russian Military Exercises, Alliances and Capabilities, by Mathieu Landriault, Adam MacDonald, and Thomas Hughes, November 2019
- The Rise and Fall of the Liberal International Order, by Shannon Nash, November 2019
- Reflections from Attending ACSUS, by Andrew Chater, November 2019
- Fieldnotes from an Arctic “Bazaar”: Report on the Arctic Circle Assembly, by Whitney Lackenbauer, October 2019
- Reflections from the Student Conference on U.S. Affairs 71 (SCUSA), by Dominque Wightman, October 2019
- Reflections from the Student Conference on U.S. Affairs 71 (SCUSA), Myles Erickson, October 2019
- Reflections from the Inuit Studies Conference, by Mathieu Landriault, October 2019
- Arctic Circle 2019: The Arctic Security Environment and ‘Outside’ Actors, by Justin Barnes, October 2019
Recent Publications by NAADSN Members and Postdoctoral and Student Fellows
- Greaves, Wilfrid, “Democracy, Donald Trump and the Canada-US Security Community.” Canadian Journal of Political Science, 2020, p.1-21.
- Chater, Andrew, Wilfred Greaves and Leah Sarson. “Assessing Security Governance in the Arctic.” In Routledge Handbook of Arctic Security, edited by Gunhild Hoogensen Gjørv, Jessica M. Shadian and Rasmus Gjedssø Bertelsen, 43-56. Abigdon, United Kingdom: Routledge, 2020. https://www.routledge.com/Routledge-Handbook-of-Arctic-Security-1st-Edition/Hoogensen-Gjorv-Lanteigne-Sam-Aggrey/p/book/9781315265797
- Chater, Andrew. “Security Governance Between Canada and Greenland.” In The North American Arctic: New Trends in Regional Security, edited by Heather Nicol and Dwayne Menezes, 188-199. London, United Kingdom: University College London Press, 2019. https://www.uclpress.co.uk/products/126972
- Charron, Andrea and James Fergusson. 2019. “Out of Sight, Out of mind NORAD vis-à-vis CANUS Politics” Canadian Foreign Policy Journal. 2 – 15.
- Charron, Andrea and James Fergusson. 2019. “Canada and Defence Against Help: The Wrong Theory for the Wrong Country at the Wrong Time.” Canadian Defence: Policy in Theory and Practice Eds. Thomas Juneau and Phillipe Lagassé and Srdjan Vucetic. Palgrave Macmillan: 99-118.
- Charron, Andrea, Troy Bouffard and James Fergusson, 2019. “A Tale of Two Russias” in Breaking the Ice Curtain? Russia, Canada, and Arctic Security in a Changing Circumpolar World Whitney Lackenbauer and Suzanne Lalonde (eds) CGAI 61-74.
- Charron, Andrea 2019. “Canada, the United States and Arctic Security”, Canada’s Arctic Agenda: Into the Vortex John Higginbotham and Jennifer Spence CIGI 93-102. https://www.cigionline.org/publications/canadas-arctic-agenda-vortex
- Charron, Andrea. 2019 “Sovereignty and Command in Canada-US Continental Air Defence, 1940-57′ H-Diplo (March 2019). https://networks.h-net.org/node/28443/reviews/3915985/charron-goette-sovereignty-and-command-canada-us-continental-air
- Charron, Andrea and James Fergusson, “Rediscovering the Cost of Deterrence”, CGAI September 2019, https://www.cgai.ca/rediscovering_the_cost_of_deterrence
- Charron Andrea (2019). Northwest Passage: status quo persists, Hill Times, 10 June, https://www.hilltimes.com/2019/06/10/the-northwest-passage-nwp-status-quo/202898
- Charron, Andrea Canada’s UN submission will (eventually) draw the last lines on the map, The Conversation, 4 June 2019. https://theconversation.com/canadas-un-submission-will-eventually-draw-the-last-lines-on-the-map-118150
- Charron, Andrea and Jim Fergusson, with Joseph Jockel, Chris Sands and Joel Sokolsky. NORAD: Beyond Modernization Centre for Defence and Security Studies, University of Manitoba. 2019, 74 pages, Found at: https://umanitoba.ca/centres/cdss/media/NORAD_beyond_modernization_2019.pdf
- Dean, Ryan, and P. Whitney Lackenbauer. “Canada and Geostrategy: From C.P. Stacey to Twenty-First Century Arctic Threat Assessment,” Journal of Military and Strategic Studies 20, no.1 (2019): 1-64.
- Kikkert, Peter, and P. Whitney Lackenbauer. “A Better Road Map Needed for Arctic and Northern Policy Framework,” Policy Options [online], Institute for Research on Public Policy. 17 September 2019.
- Kikkert, Peter, and P. Whitney Lackenbauer. “Bolstering Community-Based Marine Capabilities in the Canadian Arctic.” Canadian Naval Review 15/2 (October 2019): 11-16.
- Kikkert, Peter, and P. Whitney Lackenbauer. “Canada’s Arctic and Northern Policy Framework: A Roadmap for the Future?” Arctic Yearbook 2019, eds. Lassi Heininen and Heather Exner-Pirot (November 2019): 332-39.
- Kikkert, Peter, and P. Whitney Lackenbauer. “The Militarization of the Arctic to 1990,” in The Palgrave Handbook of Arctic Policy and Politics, ed. Ken Coates and Carin Holroyd. Cham: Palgrave, 2020. 487-506.
- Lackenbauer, P. Whitney, and Suzanne Lalonde, eds. Breaking the Ice Curtain? Russia, Canada, and Arctic Security in a Changing Circumpolar World. Calgary: Canadian Global Affairs Institute, 2019.
- Lackenbauer, P. Whitney. “‘Global Arctic Leadership’ in an Era of Cooperation and Competition,” in Canada’s Arctic Agenda: Into the Vortex, ed. John Higginbotham and Jennifer Spence. Waterloo: Centre for International Governance Innovation, 2019. 67-73.
- Lackenbauer, P. Whitney. “The North’s Canadian Rangers,” in Strengthening the Canadian Armed Forces through Diversity and Inclusion, eds. Alistair Edgar, Rupinder Mangat, and Bessma Momani. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2019. 67-86.
- Lajeunesse, Adam, and P. Whitney Lackenbauer. “Defence Policy in the Canadian Arctic: From Jean Chrétien to Justin Trudeau,” in Canadian Defence Policy in Theory and Practice, eds. Thomas Juneau, Philippe Lagassé, and Srdjan Vucetic. London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2019. 365-382.
- Landriault, Mathieu, Andrew Chater, Elana Wilson Rowe, and P. Whitney Lackenbauer.Governing Complexity in the Arctic Region. International Political Economy of New Regionalisms Series. London: Routledge, 2019. 168 pp.
- Landriault, Mathieu. Media, Security and Sovereignty in the Canadian Arctic: From the Manhattan to the Crystal Serenity. New York: Routledge, 2019.
- Nicol, Heather, Adam Lajeunesse, P. Whitney Lackenbauer, and Karen Everett. “Regional Border Security Management in the Territorial North,” in The North American Arctic: Themes in Regional Security, ed. Dwayne Menezes and Heather Nicol. London: UCL Press, 2019. 134-54.