Jill Barclay is a Policy Analyst at Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC). Working within the Enforcement Branch, Jill undertakes comprehensive risk assessment of all laws and regulations that ECCC is responsible for enforcing and the species it is charged with protecting.
Previously, Jill acted as NAADSN’s Policy & Research Coordinator, liaising with NAADSN Members and Partners, coordinating research efforts within the Network, and providing timely and innovative policy research and advice informed by current policy and global trends.
Jill received her Masters of Global Governance from the Balsillie School of International Affairs and her Honours BA in International Development from the University of Guelph.
Having focused her master’s Major Research Paper on climate-altering technologies in the Canadian Arctic, she is passionate about Arctic sustainability and livelihoods. Coupled with her experience at NAADSN, she has developed a strong understanding of geopolitics in the Arctic, both domestic and international environmental legislation, and national defence strategies and frameworks.
- Special Report: A Comparison of Strategies and Policies of the Eight Arctic States, compiled by Jill Barclay, November 2021
- Policy Primer: Leveraging the Canadian Space Sector to Improve Arctic Infrastructure and Communications: RADARSAT and Telesat, by Emily Standfield and Jill Barclay, July 2021
- Event Report: The North American Arctic Forum Event Report, March 2021
- Policy Primer: Geoengineering in the Canadian Arctic: Governance Challenges, by Jill Barclay, January 2021
- Policy Primer: The Impacts of Climate Change on North American Defence and Security, by Jill Barclay, Jayde Lavoie, Carly MacArthur, and Maria Nallim, September 2020
- Policy Brief: Improving the Canadian Armed Forces’ Recruitment and Retention of Indigenous People: Best Practices from the New Zealand Defence Force, by Jayde Lavoie and Jill Barclay, September 2020
- Annotated Bibliography: Climate Change, Security & Military Preparedness in North America, by Jill Barclay, Jayde Lavoie, Carly MacArthur, and Maria Nallim, August 2020