Ryan Dean is a PhD Candidate in the Department of Political Science at the University of Calgary. Ryan’s research focuses on Canadian Arctic polices, including issues of sovereignty, defence and governance. His dissertation examines the how societal actors have influenced the formulation of Canadian Arctic security policy since 1985.
Before starting his PhD, Ryan worked as a policy analyst at the Walter and Duncan Gordon Foundation on their Munk-Gordon Arctic Security Program in Toronto. Ryan received his MA in Political Studies from Queen’s University and his BA (Hons) in Political Science (International Relations) from Carleton University.
His recent edited volumes include (Re)Conceptualizing Arctic Security: Selected Articles from the Journal of Military and Security Studies (co-edited 2017) and Canada’s Northern Strategy under the Harper Conservatives: Key Speeches and Documents on Sovereignty, Security, and Governance, 2006-15 (co-authored 2016).
- Special Report: Canada and the Origins of the Arctic Council: Key Documents, 1988-1998, edited by P. Whitney Lackenbauer and Ryan Dean, September 2021. Documents on Canadian Arctic Sovereignty and Security (DCASS) Number 18, 2021. In partnership with the Centre for Military, Security and Strategic Studies and the Arctic Institute of North America.
- Engage Series: Shielding North America: Canada’s Role in All-Domain Continental Defence Modernization, edited by Nancy Teeple and Ryan Dean, March 2021
- Policy Brief: An Undeserved Reputation: Revising Canada’s Arctic Sovereignty and Security under the Harper Government, by Ryan Dean, A Brief from Breaking Through: Understanding Sovereignty and Security in the Circumpolar Arctic, March 2021
- Special Report: Understanding the Future Arctic Security Environment: Applying NATO Strategic Foresight Analysis to Canadian Arctic Defence and Security, November 2020. [also available in high resolution (58MB) version]
- Event Report: NORAD Modernization Forum Third Report: JADC2/JADO, by Ryan Dean and Nancy Teeple, October 2020
- Event Report: NORAD Modernization Forum Second Report: Defeat Capabilities, CDA Institute, by Ryan Dean and Nancy Teeple, September 2020
- Event Report: NORAD Modernization Forum First Report: Awareness and Sensors, CDA Institute, by Ryan Dean and Nancy Teeple, September 2020
- Quick Impact: We Cannot Deter What We Cannot Detect, by P. Whitney Lackenbauer and Ryan Dean, May 2020
- Strategic Perspective: China’s Arctic Gambit? Contemplating Possible Strategies, by Ryan Dean and P. Whitney Lackenbauer, April 2020
- Quick Impact: Blackjack Diplomacy, by Ryan Dean and P. Whitney Lackenbauer, March 2020
- Reading List: China and Arctic Security, by P. Whitney Lackenbauer and Ryan Dean, May 2020
- Policy Brief: Arctic Ironies: American Shaping of an Arctic Regime, by Ryan Dean, January 2020
- Event Report: Fieldnotes from Attending MASS: Report on the 2019 Maritime & Arctic Security & Safety Conference “People & Technology: Making the Connection”, by Ryan Dean, November 2019